Wednesday, January 16, 2013

"The Footsteps"

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." -Benjamin Franklin

One, two, three
I count, I wait, I am, I be,
But who am I?
I love, I learn just the same as you.
I am anonymous, I am undefined.
A clean slate, a blank page,
Ready with pen in hand.
And so I walk.
One step, two steps, maybe even three.
Right, left, right, left, and so it goes.
The path unknown unfolds before me.
But I do not know, I cannot see.
With hope, with fear, with trust,
I jump.
And here I am.
Arms wide open, Eyes stretched to the sky,
I found it.
I am myself.
And so I continue walking,
One, Two, Three, Four,
Until we meet again.

I wrote this poem a while ago in an attempt to address the struggle we all face in discovering who we are. I truly believe that we are all given the opportunity to make an impact in this world, however we so chose, yet we are not confined to remain the person we once were. For this reason I entitled this poem "The Footsteps", an impermanent imprint that marks our progress in realizing not who we were nor who we are, but who we can be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment