Tuesday, February 19, 2013

She Believes in a Silver Lining

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." -Nelson Mandela

Annaliese Jakimides' son committed suicide when he was 21. Today she keeps his memory alive by talking with everyone she meets - just the way he use to. In these personal connections, Annaliese believes she has found a silver lining in her youngest son's death. Here is an excerpt of her story:

"I'm 57. Divorced after 28 years of marriage, I no longer have a house. I own very little, make a marginal living, and I lost my youngest child to suicide when he was 21. At my core I am grateful for it all - even my son's death. It gave me the lens through which to see everything. 
I believe in a silver lining.
 I will forever carry my son with me. How can a mother not? This is the only choice I had: I could either carry him as a bag of rocks or I could live a life celebrating him."  

I think her story is so powerful. Often we choose to place ourselves in a victim position, and don't find the strength to carry on, to pick ourselves up. Many I'm sure would not have been able to brave such hardship as Annaliese did. Her story is proof that we can be strong, we can continue, and we as individuals are fully capable of achieving great things with a sense of purpose and optimism. When I first heard her story my eyes welled with tears, I could not understand how one who has lost so much has remained so positive, so uplifted, and motivated, her words reinvigorated my spirit. My biggest fear is losing those I love most, the thought of having to live life without them is something I can't yet imagine or come to terms with. I hope when the time comes I will be strong enough to handle myself with the same grace and courage as Annaliese. And until then I will hold her story in my heart and marvel at her strength in moving forward, her essay has forever changed my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment