Sunday, February 10, 2013

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." - Edgar Allan Poe


I think I was afraid to say the least, afraid to leave what was comfortable and known. To me the idea of growing up was as scary as it is was exciting, after high school it seems as though we are thrown headfirst into the unknown. And as a college-bound senior I understood all too well that things were about to change so significantly. I don't think anyone understood why the thought of college was so daunting to me, no one seemed to share my struggle. And the closer I came to graduation, the more I realized it was the future that scared me most.

I began dreaming as a child, wishing I could accomplish so many incredible things in my life. But the reality only truly set in senior year, that I was actively making choices and decisions now that would shape the person I become, the future I would create for myself. And I began to wonder what if I couldn't do it, what if I let myself down? My uncertainty terrified me, and my dreams started to seem too big, too far, too high to reach.  

But I'm still dreaming, the difference is I'm finally doing something about it. I'm not scared anymore, not hesitant nor doubtful, I am finally where I'm supposed to be, excited about what is in store for me.  I feel challenged and inspired everyday, and so blessed to be a part of a community like Santa Clara. College is where the magic happens, the people, the professors, the journey onward is what we all wait for, this is my defining moment.

I think it's funny looking back, just this time last year things were so different. My whole perspective has shifted, and for the better, it seems my optimism has no bounds. In 15 weeks I'd like to think I've already come such a long way from the girl that graduated last June. So let me dream big and far and high, and show the world what I'm made of.

No comments:

Post a Comment